Sharon and Sienna

Sharon and Sienna

Social Media Internship

I was fortunate enough to be offered a Social Media Internship with Parelli, which has now turned into a permanent position.
I am excited to be here in Pagosa Springs on this journey and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you.

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Art of Poi

Back in 2001 I worked as a wrangler at Lone Mountain Ranch in Big sky, Montana. The ranch had 89 horses, it was a summer job and one of the best experiences of my life. We had some great rides right from the ranch, but mostly I would trailer people and horses into nearby Yellowstone Park and do all day rides. The scenery and wildlife were just breath taking. You can see some pictures here.
It was such physical work and you were exhausted at the end of the day, but it was a good feeling and by the end of the season after lifting all those saddles, and riding, and cleaning I was as fit as a butchers dog!

Me on my favorite ranch horse Leland, on the Spanish Creek Trail

We had no television at the ranch so our evenings were filled with sitting outside on the deck of our cabin and talking about our day, watching the deer strolling by, or the fox cubs playing that lived under the tool shed next to our cabin. It's also when Margot, one of the other wranglers taught us the art of Poi.

Learning the art of Poi

I ordered myself a set and have been playing with them a little over the years, and when I packed some of my belongings and moved to CO, I found them and brought them with me, thinking it would be a fun thing to do with Sienna.

Sienna is pretty laid back and takes everything in her stride and when I first got the Poi out and started twirling them a little, it didn't phase her one bit. Since she was so good about it, I have been tying them to her bareback pad and we do most stuff with them trailing along her sides, then I'll get on here and twirl them next to her and over her head.....no problem. So this weekend I took it one step further. I think you can pretty much tell by these pictures and the expression on her face that she's OK with it all.

Now I just need to get better with my technique. :0)




4 comments:

  1. Wow Sharon you and Sienna rock! Poi while standing on your horse. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... I expect to see you doing it with fire next!

    You're such an interesting person Sharon.

    Kerrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lovely to see some of the 'photos from 2001 again. As you say, the scenery is spectacular.
    As for you getting back with the art or Poi, I must speak to your sister to see if she ever learned to use hers. Lovely 'photos Sharon. I would love to know what poor old Sienna is thinking - something on the lines of "does this woman not realise how degrading this is for a fine animal like me" ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mum,

    On the contrary, the more that Sienna is exposed to, the more confident she gets. I think she enjoy's the variety of the things she is exposed to :0)

    xox

    ReplyDelete